Wednesday 5 March 2008

FIGS



Oh its so nice to walk around the fig tree and see ripe figs hanging down ready to pick. That is the difference netting makes, ensuring a good harvest.


Apart from ripe and fresh, warm off the tree,(which is just delicious) I like to dry some for winter celebrations and fig bread. .

I first came across this recipe at the Barossa Slow 2006 orchard tour.

Dried Figs

Figs

1kg sugar

100ml white wine vinegar

500ml water

Prick the figs all over with a fork .Make syrup & bring to a rolling boil. Simmer figs 1.5- 2 hours in syrup .Let cool in syrup drain for 6 hours. Lay out to dry.

Fig Bread

I mostly just add chopped figs and fennel to my rye sourdough. But here’s my simple, quick method

3 cups flour

1 cup rye flour

11/2 cup chopped dried figs

2 tablespoons fennel seeds.

1 tablespoon dried yeast. (Fermipan freeze dried yeast)

1 teaspoon salt.

1 teaspoon malt. (Either extract or powder)

1 tablespoon oil.

2 cups warm water. (Approximately)

Mix flours, figs, fennel and yeast in a bowl. Dissolve salt and malt in 1 cup of warm water, add to dry ingredients, mix, and add oil and water to form dough. Knead. Cover and leave to rise 60 minutes.

Knead dough until it is elastic, about 5 - 10 minutes. Shape into 2 loaves

Bake at 200 C, 35-45 minutes loaf.

Goes well with cheese or just serve lightly buttered.

.

1 comment:

Kate said...

My figs are nearly dry, I think. I wonder how dry they need to be and if they will make it before the cool change comes! I love your Feedjit map!